Background / Requirement
- Incorporation of Carbopol and 40% Carbamide Peroxide into Glycerine
- Carbopol is difficult to disperse into Glycerine because the low pH Glycerine solution results in instant hydration and viscosity increase
- 40% by weight Carbamide Peroxide is added to the Carbopol solution in a recirculation to the mixing vessel
- Need to increase production without expanding the facility.
Quadro’s Approach to manufacturing toothpaste
ZC1 inline disperser, skid mounted with a dual PD pump arrangement for performance with high viscosities and high solids addition rates and automated Q-Vac vacuum powder addition system
- Controls to allow (3) pre-set operating points on inlet and discharge pumps
- Carbopol addition
- Carbamide Peroxide addition
- Auxiliary setting
Automated powder valve with level sensors in the hopper to control powder on/off addition.
Quadro YTron® ZC Powder Disperser Advantages
- 75% reduction in overall batch time vs. conventional in-tank mixer processing
- Rapid incorporation & dispersion of solids without lumps or ‘fish-eyes’
- Improved product consistency from batch to batch
- Increase in viscosity, the customer was able to reformulate and use less polymer
- Eliminated requirement to filter undispersed powders
- No over-processing is common with conventional mixers preserving the rheological properties of shear-sensitive products
- Significantly reduced air entrainment
- Elimination of quality problems associated with cross batch contamination
- No excessive dusting from bag dumping into process vessels
- No solids build-up on process vessel walls
- Elimination of the requirement to expand the manufacturing area to increase production.