Features of the plastic materials
Our pumps are often used with corrosive and very aggressive fluids, so it is important to use highly resistant and compatible plastic pumps.
Polypropylene [PP] pumps
The main plastic material used for GemmeCotti pumps;
- One of the most common polymers and one of the first to be used in industry;
- Highly resistant material that can be used with many fluids like caustic soda (or sodium hydroxide) and acid liquids;
- It is reinforced with other materials like glass fiber and talc to make it more mechanically resistant and to ensure a higher resistance to pressure;
- Perfect for obtaining injection molded parts, and the pumps made of this material can withstand fluid temperatures of 60-70°C.
- The second most important material used for our pumps;
- PVDF is a fluoropolymer, i.e., a technopolymer with advanced properties;
- Its composition makes it chemically inert to acids and dangerous liquids;
- It is significantly more resistant to high temperatures compared to polypropylene and it can be used up to 90°C;
- It is reinforced to increase its mechanical resistance.
How to choose the most suitable pump material
In order to decide whether PP, PVDF or stainless steel AISI 316 is the most suitable material for your application you must:
- Know the liquid that has to be pumped, which is in contact with the pump and verify its compatibility. You can use our chemical compatibility chart available at this link;
- And then know the temperatures of the liquids pumped. PP is the most suitable plastic material for liquids with maximum temperatures of about 60-70°C, while PVDF is preferred for temperatures up to 90 ºC. When the temperature of the liquid exceeds 90 ºC, you can check its compatibility with stainless steel AISI 316 which can work with even higher temperatures.
GemmeCotti plastic pumps
GemmeCotti can supply a very wide range of PP and PVDF pumps including mag-drive centrifugal pumps, mag-drive turbine pumps, mag-drive rotary vane pumps, mechanical seal pumps and vertical pumps. GemmeCotti also manufactures ATEX pumps suitable for potentially explosive atmospheres in Zone 1 and Zone 2. All our magnetic drive pumps made of thermoplastic materials are designed with a special sealless configuration characterized by high chemical resistance and no leakage and emissions.